Are you planning to buy a sump for your saltwater aquarium but are confused with so many options out there? How would you like us to help you choose the perfect sump that best meets all your reef tank needs? Sounds Interesting? Perfect! Let’s start!
What is an Aquarium Sump?
A sump is an additional tank that is installed under the display aquarium or somewhere close but lower than the main aquarium. It’s basically a support system that keeps your saltwater aquarium healthy, aesthetically pleasing, and hassle-free. Buying an aquarium sump is a great idea as it significantly lowers your tank’s maintenance needs. An important benefit is that it improves the overall water quality of your aquarium by providing additional water volume as a backup.
The Aquarium sump houses all the essential equipment to ensure that your luxury aquarium exhibits the best visual impact you always want. In addition, the sump provides added aeration to keep the system working at its best. Sudden power failures are an aquarist’s worst nightmare. Thanks to the backup water overflow, the aquarium sump is the innovation you need for that peace of mind.
Things to consider while choosing the perfect sump
Looking for the best Sumps for saltwater aquariums? Let’s discuss some important things that you should always keep in mind while choosing the perfect sump. First off, focus on why you want to buy the sump and how it will help maintain your system. Secondly, pay special attention to the dimensions and holding capacity of the sump. An ideal sump should be spacious enough to accommodate chemical, mechanical, and biological filtration equipment. Don’t forget to take into account the place where you want to keep your sump.
Sumps for saltwater aquariums could be acrylic or made up of PVC or glass. You can choose the material of the sump in accordance with the space available and, more importantly, your budget. An acrylic or glass sump is a great choice if you want to keep your sump under the aquarium. But if you have plenty of space or want to install it in the basement, stock tanks are the best choice.
However, if you are just starting and want to know everything in detail, I highly recommend reading our article, “Aquarium Sump- A necessity or added Luxury.”
Top 3 Sumps for Saltwater Aquariums- Editor’s Picks
Here are some best of the bunch choices for Aquarium sumps to buy in 2022. So, let’s dive in.
#1 Pro Clear Aquatic Systems Freedom Reef Sump
With an authoritative brand name and thousands of satisfied customers, Pro Clear Aquatics tops our list for the best sumps for saltwater aquariums. If you don’t have plenty of space or want a great sump that fits your small cabinet, look no further, the Pro Clear Aquatics sump is for you.
- The sump comes in 4 sizes, i.e., with a holding capacity of 100, 200, 300, and 400 Gallons.
- Secondly, it comes in 2 connectable sections that are pretty easy to put together.
- The sump comes with a probe holder, wire clips, and a dosing holder for added convenience. You also get 4-inches micron bags, flexible hoses, and a built-in refugium compartment.
- Pro clear sump supports all 4 filtration methods and is specially designed for saltwater aquariums.
- The filter system has bubble diffuser tubes that promise a noise-free, bubble-free, and smooth water flow.
- Made in the USA
#2 Deltec Marine BoX Sump
For hobbyists who are conscious of the aesthetics, quality, and price, the Deltec Marine BoX sump is your best buddy.
- The Deltec Sump comes in 3 different sizes, i.e., Small with 55L return volume, Medium with 70 L, and Large with 94L.
- The sump has an elegant design and is made up of high-quality white and clear acrylic panels.
- A good thing is Deltec Sump is light-weight, easy to clean, and has no risk of breakage compared to the glass sumps.
- Moreover, it’s primarily designed to best accommodate UV rods, probe holders, heating rods, protein skimmers, filters, and pumps.
- The sump comes with a degassing plate that removes gas bubbles and ensures optimal and smooth water flow.
- Made in Germany
#3 Reef Octopus OCTO Sump
Next on the best sumps for saltwater aquariums list is Reef Octopus OCTO Sump. With a sleek, sophisticated design and perfect pop of vivid red color, Reef OCTO is an aquarist’s ultimate choice. Here is why:
- First, the Reef Octopus OCTO Sumps comes in 4 different models, each differing in size and holding capacity. The available sizes are 15 inches, 24 inches, 30 inches, and 36 inches.
- Secondly, the sump has a classy design, quality acrylic panels, and machine-cut precision.
- Furthermore, the Reef Octo sump comes with a built-in water reservoir of 25L and a standalone box for the return pump.
- The sump comes with a built-in sock holder to facilitate avid aquarists who like to use auto-filter rollers.
- The sump has designed chambers to accommodate skimmers, reactors, and adjustors, all highlighted in the characteristic OCTO red accent.
- OCTO reef sump is an attractive sump that concentrates a lot of important functions into a smaller dimension. The sump has a solid acrylic build fused together by hand into compartments for optimal form and functions.
- Finally, the sump has a specially designed bubble-diffusing intake chamber that also promises noise-free flow and comes with a lid.
- Made in China
And that’s all. Now you know the characteristics of a good aquarium sump, what to look for when buying one, and the Top 3 choices for the best sumps for saltwater aquariums. With so many impressive features, installing a sump is something worth your time and money. We hope the list will make it easier for you to decide which Aquarium sump best meets your criteria.
Enjoyed reading the article? Read our Best related articles here:
The Best Reef Tank Gadget Ideas To Check Out
Starphire Glass Aquariums: Do You Need One & Everything You Want To Know
Related article: How to Reduce Nitrates in a Saltwater Aquarium: Effective Methods
I am the founder of J. Louis, a digital marketing agency focused on providing innovative solutions and strategies built on a foundation of creative design and technology. A family man who loves travel and reef tanks, I’ve been coined as a jack of all trades, master of a few of them, most specifically website and sales funnel design, monetization and growth strategies, and viral marketing. I began pursuing my passions for business by cutting my neighbor’s lawns when I was just 8 years old and never looked back. Over the past 20 years, I have amassed significant experience providing consulting, design and development services for Fortune 500 companies, government, retail, private individuals, and A-list celebrities.